Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Process of Critiquing Yourself

Critiquing your own work is not always a fun process, as people tend to overly critical of their performance. However, the various benefits that can result from doing so are well worth the slight discomfort. Upon first perusal of my presentation, what first struck me was how much I use my hands when I talk. To me, this was a distraction, although others who watched my video stated that they viewed it as a positive, so it appears that it depends on the learner whether the use of hand motions during instruction is a pro or a con. The following is a list of benefits that can result from critiquing one's own performance:

-Educators can observe whether learners are engaged in the presentation
-Educators can subsequentyly improve instruction methodology based on the level of learner engagement
-Improved instruction will promote greater content mastery/student achievement

As improved student achievement is likely the goal of all educators, it is in their best interest to occassionally critique one of their own learning sessions, in an effort to continually improve their instruction and curriculum development. The recent opportunity to review my own teaching instruction proved to be a beneficial guide that will assist me in creating future lesson plans.

No comments:

Post a Comment